Frequently Asked Questions

The trustee has filed a motion to dismiss my Chapter 13 case. What are my options?

If you are in a Chapter 13 plan and are unable to keep the payments current, the Trustee, or one of your creditors, may file a motion to dismiss the case. If this happens, you must move quickly to correct the situation.

In some districts, you must file a written response to the motion, or it will simply be granted without a hearing. In other districts, the motion is always set down for a hearing. If a response is required, make sure that your attorney files one promptly. If not, you may want to consider filing a response yourself.

It is often possible to save a plan that has fallen into arrears. You may be able to propose a cure of the delinquency by making additional payments, or through a lump sum payment from future income such as a tax refund. You may be able to negotiate a “Strict Compliance Order” that lets the plan continue as long as all future payments are made timely. Or, you may be able to modify the plan to provide for a lower payment. All of these possibilities should be discussed with your attorney, or in the alternative, with the Trustee’s attorney.

If it is not possible to save the plan, you may want to consider converting your case to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy rather than letting it be dismissed. This can sometimes be less expensive than having the case dismissed and then filing a new Chapter 7 case.

If the case is dismissed, you may be able to file a new Chapter 13 case, if you can show that the new plan is feasible. Of course, all payments under the new plan will have to be paid in a timely fashion, or you will soon be facing another dismissal. Repeated dismissals can result in an order that prevents you from filing for a period of time.

It is critical that you get qualified, experienced help when you consider filing, and when you are already in, a bankruptcy case. If your attorney is unresponsive, it may be time to seek new counsel, particularly if your case is dismissed and you need to refile.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

Client Testimonials

Attorney Jason Braswell & Lisa LaCount are just wonderful...not one time have I call the office that I didn’t get a chance to speak directly to Jason or Lisa, or receive an immediate return call/email with a response. Thanks to this attorney team, my mind and our finances are in order. - C.P.

Catherine Pettit

Morgan & Morgan worked on disability benefits for my unemployed 50-year old brother who was homeless and suffering from autism/Asperger’s syndrome. We all knew nothing (!) and Mr. Morgan was a breath of fresh air.

Disability client

My experience with Morgan & Morgan was exceptional!!! I was very well informed about their procedures and felt comfortable about going forth with my case. Everything was handled with importance. - C.J.

Casmin Jones

We were fully enlightened about our situation which helped us choose our best choice concerning a problem. We would recommend Mr Braswell to our friends. - H.A.

Harold Andrews

A very respectful law firm that has very good customer service which is job one in the human world. Thank you Morgan and Morgan of Athens, GA. - W.S.


Jason is the best lawyer ever. I appreciate everything he's done in my case. I could never thank him enough.


Dedicated to providing superior service not found elsewhere.

Morgan & Morgan attorneys can help settle your debts such as credit card debt, auto loans and mortgage debt. Contact us if you need assistance with baknruptcy or have any questions about the process. No problem is too big or too small for us to help.